Welcome to ASL 123
Frequently Used ASL Idioms and Expressions
Note: Most of these signs are just regular vocabulary signs in ASL.
However, many people for many years have called them "idioms" and "expressions" (probably because the English translations often appear as an expression). None-the-less, these are fun signs use and well worth knowing.
ASL Idioms and Expressions Video .
CLICK! ASL Idioms and Expressions Translations
Idioms & Expressions Sentence Translations #1 - 13
1. DO-DO-DO Can mean "what are you doing?" or you are in an awkward situation and wondering how to get out of it.
2. TOUCH+FINISH "Have you been to ...?" or "I have already been to..."
3. VOMIT! " I really hate that" or "I can't stand that" or "That is repulsive"
4. FUNNY^NONE "That's not funny" or "This is nothing to laugh at
5. FEEL+DEFLATED Used to indicate a feeling "flat" or "very small" when you have made a blunder or something you thought was correct turns out to be wrong.
6. OUT-OF-SIGHT This idiom usually is used for something that is fantastic or for an individual who is superior to others.
7. O-I-C "Oh, I see"
8. THINK+DISAPPEAR The thought slipped my mind
9. ON-THE-FENCE Similar to the English idiom.
10. SQUARE-MIND Blockhead, nitwit.
11. MIND^FROZEN Shocked, can't think
12. FALL-IN-LOVE Fall head or heels in love with
13. TRAIN-GONE Missed out on
14. BLOW-ONE' TOP Similar to the English idiom
15. WHAT'S-UP "What's up?" "What's happening" "How are you?" Use this sign when you are with friends not new people.
16. FINE!-wiggle Used as a reaction to some humorous human error or joke or as a response to a clever or witty remark.
17. MIND+LIMIT I can't think or take-in anymore just now, or my brain is tired and full
18. I-I-I Egotistic, think only of yourself.
20. STINK Perform badly
21. SWALLOW-PRIDE I felt like a fool, gulp! oops!
22. TURTLE-NECK Humiliated, embarrassed
23. POINT-BREAK-THROUGH Get your point across, get it into your thick skull
24. BULLDOZE, REJECT Discriminate, outcast, lay-off
25. IN/OUT EARS/EYES Not paying attention, daydreaming, no comprehension
26. YAK-AROUND People are talking about it all over, It was all over town7.
27. ONE-UP-ON Gotcha! take that!
28. BLOW-UP-IN-FACE Back fire
29. GOBBLE-UP Consume time, gas, money
30. GRAB-EYES Fascinating, interesting
31. QUESTION-ON-BRAIN Puzzled, confused
32. BIG-HEAD Egotistical, swell-headed
33. FINE! Repulsive, Unthinkable
34. COW-IT (1) & (2) (1) I'm not crazy about that; (2) very slow, taking forever
35. LEGS-IN-AIR Suddenly stricken ill, or hurt, laid-up
36. BURNING-INSIDE Feeling upset or angry; stewing
37. PAST-HEAD I don't get it; over my head
38. MIND-BLANK Completely forgot about that, can't think of it now
39. NOTHING No problem, means nothing to me
40. HUNGRY++ Passionate, horny